Biohacking logbook - Meditation and recovery and what I'm exploring now

The art of recovery is an important piece of the meditation practise.
You don't avoid mistakes. You practise recovering from them.

It's like the difference between playing classical music and playing jazz.
In jazz when improvising a mistake is an opportunity to recover and find a way to make your mistake
syntactically coherent. When playing classical music a mistake can be a disaster, unless you redefine the rules of classical music and its interpretation.

So the mistake in meditation may be the wondering of the mind. Once you realise this you have the opportunity to overcome the feeling of failure and to instead take hold of the opportunity to bring the attention back to the focus of your mindful meditation session like the breath.

I train myself to attain a high percentage of coherence with heartmath emwave2 - A biofeedback software I've used since 2017 to train Heart rate variability.

The first exercise I do is to try to achieve as high a coherence ratio I can in 3 minutes.
The second exercise I do is to try to achieve 95 of high coherence.
The third exercise is to achieve 100 high. This can take a while.

Sometimes I get high coherence immediately and land on 100 almost instantly although this is unusual.

I have noticed that these exercises improves my sleep.





So, other than this, what am I exploring now?

At this time the Covid19 situation is overshadowing everything else.
I see this as an opportunity to get new perspectives on things.
Since social distancing is the current norm introspection is readily in place.
I have contemplated the connection between dietary patterns and sleep.
I see sleep as one of the most important paths to health.
I use ouraring as a tool for measuring its quality.
The last week my deep sleep has been lower than usual.
The last months my RHR has been a bit higher.
I want to see how I can mitigate this.
So I've been experimenting a bit with a more animal based approach, almost carnivorish.
I am however not convinced this is the optimal way for me.
There are many other parameters I'm playing with like eating time windows, macros, micros etc.
I am still consistently keto.
So now I'm going back to the way I ate first half of 2019, which was more of a paleolithic, ghanaian inspired keto with some very specific supplementations.

I also spend a lot of time  doing Shinrin yoku - walking mindful in nature.

Hormesis is also an important component in what I'm doing.
Cold exposure, and heat exposure, and HIIT and strength training to be specific.

I'm reading the "Carnivore Code" by Paul Saladino.
I will wait to let you know what I think as I haven't read it through yet.
I am however a bit agnostic toward the demonisation of plants as a part of the human diet.
I do think animal foods should not be demonised as a natural part of our evolutionary history but I think there might be a more nuanced middleground where individualisations may play our very differently for individuals. To what degree and how it applies to me I have yet to decide.
But I'm pretty sure nose-to-tail will be included anyhow.

I'm also reading David Sinclairs - "Lifespan".
That is almost the other end of the dietary spectrum.
I'm not convinced by this either.
But same there I will read both of these books before I have clarity on my position.

In the meantime I'm being agnostic and open and listen to my intuition as much as I can.

C out


Comments

Popular Posts